Computer Arts

October 19, 2010

Stop Motion Animation!!

by e10391

Stop motion (also known as stop action or frame-by-frame) is an animation technique to make a physically manipulated object appear to move on its own. The object is moved in small increment and photographed.  The photographs are played as a series of frames in a continuous sequence.  Think of the concept of a flip book.  This moving penny stop motion animation was made with 21 photos.

Here are some more examples:

Monty Python Terry Gilliam Intro

MUTO a wall-painted animation by BLU

Her Morning Elegance / Oren Lavie

Minilogue/hitchhikers choice

Human Skateboard

Alien vs. Astronaut

We are going to make our own stop motion animations using Adobe Photoshop and Windows Movie Maker.  The idea is, start with a photo, save it in a folder as 1.  Move something a little bit or make a little change, then save it as 2, and so on.  Your canvas size should be 4 x 6 inches.  In the end you will have 100 photos.  I know this sounds like a lot but I will give you time to do it, and 100 photos will only last about 2 minutes once you play it like a movie.

Some ideas: make objects move.  Make eyes move, make mouths open and close.  Make things appear to come closer/move away by making them bigger/smaller.  Change the background, change the colors, moving text… Anything that you can think of!  Be creative, have fun, make an awesome movie!  I could make this assignment more detailed, but I want to give you freedom to make whatever your mind can imagine!  I would reccomend begining with a character (person, animal, object…), and then changing it. 

My initial idea was to show an emotion change.  So, I started with a sad clown:

which I changed into this:

Filed under at 10:38 pm and